Sunday, February 27, 2011

Chapter 5: Kobo eReader

Forgive me for quality today, I'm home sick and I have a cat in heat laying on my chest annoying the shit out of me.

I am an impulse buyer. I claim it. That's me. I usually will walk into the bookstore anytime I am in the mall, and even on a small amount of money I will usually buy a book. When I said I had decided to buy my own eReader, that was a product of 2 hours of internet searching, and not being able to find the Sony (it was on a shelf in the bedroom). At 7pm, Zack----

I have to stop here, my cat just started licking herself "down there". Get off, Slinky.

Anyway. Zack and I went to the mall at 7pm, with no idea of what I was going to find and buy. We hit up Books-A-Million first, took a look at the Nook (I revel in that sentence) and Zack tried to talk me into one of those. I just kept seeing all the buttons and knowing it had wifi and I just thought I would never be able to get through a book when my ADD kicked in. It was also over 200 bucks. Off to Waldenbooks we went.

Waldenbooks is of course my favorite store, they've been there for me since I was little, and even that one birthday party we dressed as pirates and walked around the mall. Lo and behold, I walk in and there's an eReader sale. The had 2 versions of the Kobo, a wireless and a non wireless, both with Bluetooth connections.

The Kobo is a total budget eReader. There is no keyboard, no touchscreen, really no extra buttons to push. It has the same type of eInk screen as the Kindle, so even in bright light it is very see-able. For books you buy from the store it is very fast, and it does have the capability to add your own .epub and .pdf files. I added "An Echo in the Bone" (over a 1000 pages) in .epub form that I downloaded. The Kobo can handle it, but it does take a very long time for it to load the book and turn pages. I tried other books and I believe it's just the length of my file and the fact that I downloaded and added. Otherwise I like the quality of the system it uses, the buttons aren't too sensitive, and I feel like it could take a couple hits and not be broken. The case is also pretty neat, nice white plastic on the front, and a patten on the back i like to run my fingers over when I'm reading.

I feel like getting this guy for 79.99 was a good deal, and with the ease of use and no so many buttons, it is able to keep my attention. Even with it being slow on my added book, it still is able to handle a lot, and I think I'll keep it around.

20 comments:

  1. is it a better deal than the kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the price, yeah, but the kindle does a lot more. depends on what you want it for. it's good for a purist who just wants to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a nice ereader. i will have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not crazy about eReaders. I much prefer real pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still don't really understand these things. i mean i guess it saves money somewhat and your not carrying a book around but it just seems like if i wanted to read id rather read a book then a screen. why wouldn't i just read it on my mac instead of having this extra device?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet, i currently use my ipad as ebook reader which works quite aswell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think e-books are going to take over the book world to be honest, I mean most of the Boarders in america are being shut down already! Also I hate it so much when my cats are in heat.. most annoying thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'd rather have an ebook because if you have dry hands you cant turn a page and you rage

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have considered getting an e-reader before, but I have so many physical books to still get through I don't see the point yet. One day maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. its really cheap and looks useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love a kindle, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take full advantage of it or let it on my shelf collecting dust.... I better stay with my classic books...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been kinda wanting an e-reader, but don't want to spend a lot of money on a gadget I'll lose interest in. I will have to check this brand out, it seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For that functionality, I still think $80 is too much

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat, I like the style of the Kobo from the picture. Do you turn the pages with the blue d-pad?

    Also, you might try breaking your large ebooks up into sections before putting them on there to get better load times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I think about buying one of these kindle things I think about all the great times I had as a kid going to the library or the bookstore and finding a book to sink my teeth into them. I can't do it, I don't think I ever will they'll have to force it upon me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know how much they had come down in price.... Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a kindle and it has completely changed how much I read.

    ReplyDelete