Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chapter 1: "Outlander" Diana Gabaldon

Outlander. What can I say about this and it's series of sequels that can encompass the sheer size and history and romance that make up these books? Wow?

What I feel about Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser can only be rivaled by my 11 year old self's love of Harry Potter. It's that sort of series. Claire Beauchamp Randall, an army nurse in WWII, is finally able to spend time with her husband in the country they were married in, Scotland. What starts there is a whirlwind of time-traveling, marriage, Scottish Highlanders, and lush history that takes you away. Outlander (Cross Stitch in the UK) was published in 1991, but since I was 2 years old at that time, I never had the time to catch it. I was recently given the series by my desk mate, who swears it's the greatest thing she's read (twice). I flew through it in a week, which is no easy feat, considering it's about 900 pages. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very quick reader, but there's so many details and historical information, I had to force myself to slow down. Toss in the amazing romance (and naughty scenes that made me blush and watch over my shoulder for coworkers) and I was hooked. So far there are seven books in the series, 1 graphic novel adaptation of the first 1/3rd of Outlander, several offshoot books centered around the character of Lord John, a companion book, and now there is an eighth (and final, I believe) sequel in the works. I've just recently started the seventh book, and I must say, Mrs. Gabaldon does not let me down.

If you're looking for something to fill a void (be it romantic, time, or a Harry Potter-shaped hole in your heart) this is a good choice. Also the artistic rendering of Jamie is hot. And so is this.

Oh My God.

4 comments: