Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chapter 2: "Jane Slayre" Charlotte Bronte and Sherri Browning Erwin

I said I liked classics. Well, sort of. I've read Jane Eyre. I love the romance, the intrigue, the crazy lady. I also like the supernatural (excluding sparkling vampires.) Jane Slayre is in the same vein of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, of which ripoffs have been coming out like clockwork. I like to think Jane Slayre is of it's own league; it has enough of the main story to very recognizable and and the same time the language is updated to be a little more understandable for reader who aren't up on their Victorian English. The vampires, zombies, and werewolves thrown in just makes it more fun.  Mrs Erwin keeps her extra plots pieces fairly believable (as much as possible) and is able to pull together her plot pieces to make a believable Jane, albeit a little more feisty, and a little less cold. Mr. Rochester still comes off and brooding and dark, but eerily attractive, and in my imagination Thornfield is the perfect place for the supernatural plot to unfold. I read through this once and liked it enough to read again. As an update on an already amazing book, I'd recommend Jane Slayre as a new twist that sticks to the story and adds to the fun.

4 comments:

  1. After reading the original i think i'd read this as a welcome change. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really like that book? I couldn't get past the first chapter! Lol! Does it pick up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since I read anything. i need to start again.

    ReplyDelete